HOW TO GUIDE: HARD SURFACES
WHY SEAL A HARD SURFACE?
- Enhances natural colour of the surface
- Prevents powdering and dirt penetration
- Makes cleaning easier
- Stain protects
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE STARTING?
- The type of surface one is trying to seal e.g. cement, terracotta, slate, etc
- Whether the floor has previously been sealed or treated
- If the previous sealer or polish needs to be removed
- The rate at which the surface to be sealed absorbs liquid
SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING HARD SURFACE SEALERS
- Drying times may be extending during cold or wet weather
- Ensure good ventilation during application
- Do not smoke while applying the product
- Do not apply to dark products outside while in full sunlight as this may lead to bubbling and aeration
- Do not apply outdoors if rain is likely before the product has dried
If an unsealed surface is wet, one will notice that as the surface absorbs water, it becomes darker. This is the type of effect that will result from the application of a penetrating, colour enhancing sealer. Certain sealers can show up blemishes that may have previously been unobserved. Remember that if any blemishes on the surface become evident when the surface is wet, these may remain after the surface has been sealed. Penetrating sealers are available that do not enhance the surface colour. Those sealers that do not change the colour of the floor will not show blemishes.
Sometimes it is more practical to choose a sealer which will hide blemishes than it is to attempt to remove all old stains before sealing. The proper function of a sealer is to protect a surface against staining and to make the surface easier to maintain. For this reason, it is advisable that a penetrating sealer is used which protects the surface against abrasion and wear and tear. This will provide a maintenance-free seal, with long lasting protection. If a gloss finish is required or a surface sealer is selected for surface preparation, then a self-shine product would be required. This will require regular maintenance applications.
Gloss finishes are not recommended for outside areas as they are prone to peeling or flaking and are slippery when wet. Only those surfaces that require surface protection against wear and abrasion should have a surface sealer applied to them.
CHECKLIST FOR SEALING A HARD SURFACE:
- Suitable Nova Product
- Clean brush or Nova Applicator
- Water to clean water-based product off tools after use
- Suitable solvent to clean solvent-based product off tools after use